An official website of the United States government

Applying as a 16 or 17 year old


Appointments are required.


  • Processing time is about 6-8 weeks.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you at the end of your interview.

Applying as a 16 or 17 year old

Applicants must apply in person. Appointments are required.

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)
  • Valid ID (original + 1 photocopy)
  • One passport photo
    ONLY WHITE backgrounds will be accepted (blue backgrounds will be rejected) / 2″×2″ in size / NO eyeglasses / NO uniforms
  • A completed form DS-11
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
    *NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
  • Parental Consent
    You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport
  • How to Show Parental Awareness
    – A legal parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The employee accepting the application will ask your legal parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.
    – Submit a signed note from your legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
    – We may ask you to submit a notarized statement from your legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports you receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.


  • One self-addressed “Japan Post LetterPack envelope
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS: 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.
  • Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)
    If your ID does not match your name that is on your proof of citizenship document, please bring proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable. (ex. Parent’s Marriage Certificate, Parent’s Divorce Decree, Court Order)
  • Passport book $165 (please click HERE for more information on fees and for acceptable forms of payment)