An official website of the United States government

Certified True Copies of Foreign Passports for Obtaining an ITIN Number
March 31, 2021

The U.S. Embassy or Consulates can certify true copies of foreign passports for obtaining an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) or PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) for use in dealing with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Please make sure to bring the original foreign passport to your appointment. If you wish to appoint a third party to obtain the certified true copy on your behalf, please have that individual bring in a photo ID along with your original foreign passports. In such cases, a letter of proxy is not necessary. Please see more information available at IRS.gov. To obtain a certified copy of your Japanese passport, make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. When making an appointment on the appointment site, select “Request notarial and other services not listed above.”