Local Resources in the Nagoya Region

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Useful Information for Americans in Nagoya

Individuals holding a valid, current drivers license from the States, can go through a process to convert their license to a Japanese drivers license. The process of converting your license is described in the following privately operated sites:

Those in the Nagoya area wishing to obtain a Japanese drivers license will need to go to the Aichi Prefecture Driver’s License Examination Center, 2845 Kuroishi, Hirabari, Tenpaku-ku, Tel. No. (052) 801-3211, and pass all of the required tests. The closest subway stop to the center is Hirabari Station on the Tsurumai Line. From the station, it is about a 5-minute bus/taxi ride to the center. The Driver’s License Center is open from 9 am to 17:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Make sure to call in Japanese in advance to confirm the Center is open. When you do go, make sure you take your passport; Alien Registration Card; the required fees, and a black or white or color photograph 3 cm x 2.4 cm with plain background (bust-type photo) without headwear or dark glasses. Photos can be purchased at the center as well. You are advised to take an interpreter with you if you cannot speak Japanese.

To study for the tests, it is a good idea to obtain Rules of the Road published by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF), Aichi Shibu, 3-7-56 Fukue, Showa-ku, Tel. No. (052) 872-3685. (Note that JAF, which is the Japanese equivalent of the AAA, offers roadside assistance and trip planning services. For annual membership info, call (052) 872-1161.)

International driver’s licenses are only valid in Japan for a limited time, and cannot be extended in country. Even so, it is probably a lot easier to obtain one of them back home than obtaining a license inside Japan.

What if you are involved in a traffic accident while in Nagoya? The Nagoya Calendar advises the following:

  1. Write down all pertinent information regarding the other party.
  2. Report the accident to the police. Traffic laws in Japan stipulate that victims of accidents are obliged to report to the police. A certificate is also necessary to receive any compensation from insurance companies. Upon arrival at the scene of the accident, the police officer will record the circumstances of the accident, which will be filed with the Jidosha Anzen Unten Center (Automobile Driving Safety Center). You can obtain a copy of the certificate by mail by filling in a request form available at the police station. There is a fee. The center may be reached at (052) 954-8930.
  3. Have a medical check up.
  4. Hold consultations as necessary. Beware if the other party evades responsibility and does not negotiate in good faith, or offers to strike a separate deal. If you encounter such a situation, you can contact (in Japanese) the Nagoya City Traffic Accident Consultation Office at (052) 951-6622, or the Automobile Insurance Claim Consultation Center of the Japan Damage Insurance Association on the 9th floor of the Nagoya International Center. The association can be reached at (052) 583-9755 between 9:30-12:00 and 1-5:00 pm.

Nagoya’s largest English-speaking school is the Nagoya International School, 2686 Mianamihara, Nakashidami, Moriyama-ku, Tel.# (052)736-2025, Fax. # (052)736-3883.

Founded in 1964 as a private co-educational day school, NIS offers a full American curriculum education program through Grade 12. All instruction is in English, with graduates earning a standard E.S. secondary school diploma. Students come from approximately 30 countries, with approximately 20 percent from the U.S. NIS is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The school is located about eight miles northeast of downtown Nagoya. The school year runs from September to June. Limited financial aid is available for those desiring to send their children to the school but lacking adequate resources.

Nagoya has a number of quality physicians. Following is a representative list of area doctors who speak English to some degree. The Consulate cannot endorse specific doctors, including the ones listed below.

Name     Specialty     Address     Phone

Dr. Michael Alman
General Practitioner
International Clinic 8-3, Irifune 1-chome, Minatoku

Dr. Koji Kato
General pediatrics
Japanese Red Cross, Nagoya First Hospital 3-35, Michishita-cho, Namamura-ku

Dr. Yoshiaki Ito
Internal medicine
Meito Hospital 414 Takama-cho, Meito-ku

Dr. Shigeaki Kaseki
4-16-16 Sakae, Naka-ku

Dr. Hiromi Kawahara
Thoracic and general surgery
AHI Hospital, 987-31 Minamiyama, Komenoki-cho, Nisshin-shi, Aichi

Dr. Hiroshi Mizuno
Mizuno Hiroshi Icho-ka 4-14-3, Imaike, Chikusa-ku

Dr. Atsumi Shibata
Shibata Naika Nichimaru Nagoya Building 4th Floor, 1-3, Shin Sakae-machi, Naka-ku

Dr. Fumio Tachino
Internal medicine
Tachino Clinic, Dai Nagoya Building 3rd Floor, 3-28- 12, Meieki, Nakamura-ku

Dr. Shinji Takeuchi
Breast Surgery
Marumo Hospital 2-124-1 Hongo, Meito-ku

Dr. Tadashi Taki
Dermatology and Plastic Surgery
Ozone Hifu-ka/Keisei-geka 3-17-14 Ozone, Kita-ku

Dr. Masako Sugiyama
Gynecological oncology
Sugiyama Ladies Clinic Nichimaru Nagoya Building 3rd Floor, 1-3, Shin Sakae-machi, Naka-ku

Dr. Hajime Togari
Nagoya City Hospital Pediatrics Department, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho-cho, Mizuoho-ku

Dr. Yasuyuki Yamada
Obstetrics and gynecology
Nagoya Seikei Fujinka, Naika, 4-137 Kusunoki, Kita-ku

Dr. Tsutomu Nakashima
Ear, nose and throat
Nagoya University Hospital, 65 Tsurumai-cho, Showa-ku

The following English-speaking dentists practice in Nagoya. The Consulate cannot endorse dentists, including the one listed below:

Dr. Kuniaki Miyajima; Miyajima Dentistry, 11-11, Tamanoi-cho, Atsuta-ku; (052) 681-4618

Other questions?

Nagoya International Center (052) 581-0100 is prepared to answer questions that Americans and other non-Japanese may have on living and working in Nagoya. The Center also has many reference materials available some of which are in English.