U.S. Citizen Services

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and consulates in Japan have suspended all routine appointments for passports and notarial services. If you need an emergency passport for immediate international travel or for reasons relating to immigration, please email us at NahaACS@state.gov. See related notice.

We can accept applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, but we cannot advise how long it will take to obtain this document at this time. However, we will be able to process an emergency passport as evidence of citizenship after approving a Consular Report of Birth.

  • To request an appointment for an emergency passport or emergency notarial service please email NahaACS@state.gov.

The Consulate in Naha helps Americans in Okinawa and the Amami Oshima Island group (which is the southern island group of Kagoshima Prefecture). For a full list of services and information that the American Citizen Services section provides, please check here.

Although an appointment may not be necessary for U.S. citizens requiring emergency services during our normal business hours, please call us first to explain the nature of the emergency before you come to the Consulate.

Emergency ACS services include:

  • Reporting the death or arrest of a U.S. citizen, reporting a U.S. citizen as missing, or reporting incidents involving the serious injury or illness of U.S. citizens
  • Assisting U.S. citizens requiring emergency financial assistance to return to the United States
  • Assisting U.S. citizen victims of crime or disaster

Contact Us:
Phone: 098-876-4211 (From the United States: 011-81-98-876-4211)

ACS Office Hours:
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding U.S. and Japanese holidays
NOTE: All non-emergency services, such as applying for a passport, consular report of birth abroad, notary, or visa, are provided by appointment only.

After Hours Emergency Services:
For serious emergencies involving the health or safety of U.S. citizens after regular business hours, please call the U.S. Embassy Tokyo switchboard at 03-3224-5000 (From the United States: 011-81-3-3224-5000)

Address & Contact Information:

U.S. Consulate General Naha
Attn: American Citizen Services
2-1-1 Toyama Urasoe City, Okinawa 901-2104


PSC 556 BOX 840
FPO-AP 96386-0840

Phone: (098) 876-4211
Fax: (098) 876-4243
Email: nahaacs@state.gov

Here are a map and directions to the U.S. Consulate General Naha.
Please bring your passport or a photo ID and your appointment confirmation when you visit the Consulate. Please keep in mind that a security check is required to enter the building.
Emergency and Crisis Preparedness:

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP):

STEP is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The U.S. Embassy Japan strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Japan enroll in STEP. Further information on STEP is available here.

Social Security-related Services:

Effective October 1, 2017, the U.S. Consulate General Naha no longer provides support services for the Social Security Administration (SSA), including accepting applications for new social security cards or replacement social security cards without prior approval of the SSA. If you reside in Japan and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Tokyo. For information on their services and how to contact them, please check this page or e-mail them at FBU.Tokyo@ssa.gov. For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit the SSA website.

Other Resources for U.S. Citizens in Japan: