U.S. Citizen Services at Consulate General Osaka

  1. Consul General Karen Kelley
  2. Sections & Offices
  3. U.S. Citizen Services at Consulate General Osaka
  4. Kansai American Center

The Consulate General in Osaka provides services to U.S. Citizens living or traveling in the following 20 prefectures:


• Safety & Security Messages and Travel Alerts for U.S. Citizens in Japan

For a full list of services and information that the American Citizen Services section provides, please check here.


Although an appointment may not be necessary for U.S. citizens requiring emergency services during our normal business hours, please call us first to explain the nature of the emergency before you come to the Consulate.

Emergency ACS services include:

  • Reporting the death or arrest of a U.S. citizen, reporting a U.S. citizen as missing, or reporting incidents involving the serious injury or illness of U.S. citizens
  • Replacing lost, stolen, or expired passports for those with an urgent need to travel
  • Assisting U.S. citizens requiring emergency financial assistance to return to the United States
  • Assisting U.S. citizen victims of crime or disaster

Contact Us:

Phone: 06-6315-5900 (From the U.S: 011-81-6-6315-5900)

ACS Office Hours:
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. except U.S. and Japanese holidays.

After Hours Emergency Services:
For serious emergencies involving the health or safety of U.S. citizens after regular business hours, contact the Osaka Duty Officer through the U.S. Embassy Tokyo switchboard at 03-3224-5000 (From the U.S: 011-81-3-3224-5000)

Death of a U.S. Citizen
Information regarding the disposition of remains in Consulate Osaka’s Consular District can be found here.


The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and consulates in Japan have suspended all routine appointments for passports and notarial services. If you need an emergency passport for immediate international travel within seven days, please email the Consulate at aok@state.gov. See related notice.

We can accept applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, but we cannot advise how long it will take to obtain this document at this time. However, we will be able to process an emergency passport as evidence of citizenship after approving a Consular Report of Birth. To schedule an appointment in Osaka, please email the Consulate at aok@state.gov.

We are only able to accommodate emergency notarial appointments. If you have an urgent need for notarial services, please email the Consulate at aok@state.gov and state the nature of emergency.

Address & Contact Information:

American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
2-11-5 Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543

Phone: (06) 6315-5900
Fax: (06) 6315-5914
Email: aok@state.gov
Facebook: www.facebook.com/USConGenOsaka

Here are a map and directions to the U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe.

Please bring your passport or a photo ID and your appointment confirmation when you visit the Consulate. Please keep in mind that a security check is required to enter the building. Liquids and electronics are not allowed. Large bags and luggage are not permitted. Coin lockers may be available at nearby train or subway stations. Please store your items before coming to the Consulate. Please click here for additional information.

Emergency and Crisis Preparedness:

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP):

STEP is a free service which allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The Embassy strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Japan enroll in STEP. Further information on STEP is available here.

Social Security-related Services:

Effective October 1, 2017, the Osaka Consulate no longer provides support services for the Social Security Administration (SSA) including accepting applications for new social security cards or replacement social security cards without prior approval of the SSA. If you reside in Japan and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Tokyo. For information on their services and how to contact them, please check this page or e-mail them at FBU.Tokyo@ssa.gov. For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage.

Other Resources for U.S. Citizens in Japan: