Emergency Message: Flooding and Landslides in Tochigi and Ibaraki Prefectures

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Japan that the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) has issued emergency weather warnings for areas in Tochigi and Ibaraki Prefectures after heavy rains triggered floods and landslides in localized areas of Eastern Japan.

Prefectural authorities have issued evacuation orders affecting areas in both prefectures, especially along the flooded Kinugawa River in Ibaraki Prefecture. Emergency warnings are expected to remain in place through the night of Thursday, September 10 and into Friday, September 11.

U.S. citizens living and traveling in Japan should take this information into account, and be aware that localized conditions in affected areas could change without warning.

All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed. Information on affected areas is available in English at the following websites:

In case of a weather-related emergency, be sure to locate shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Carry your travel documents at all times (e.g., U.S. passport, birth certificate, picture ID’s, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates on your whereabouts.

Additional information on storm preparedness may be found on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Japan enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy or the nearest U.S. Consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Updated information on travel in Japan may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States and Canada, or from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Please continue to monitor the Embassy’s website for updated information. Please consult the Country Specific Information Sheet for Japan, available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of either the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or one of the U.S. Consulates in Japan.