Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (March 23, 2020)
Japan’s Enhanced Screening and Quarantine Measures for Travelers from the United States: The government of Japan has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Effective March 26, all travelers arriving from the United States, including Japanese citizens, will be asked to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days at a designated facility, and to avoid using any public transportation until after the 14-day period. The self-quarantine location may be your residence if you live in Japan or a hotel, but the Japanese government reserves the right to “designate” the location of your self-quarantine. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Japan National Tourism Organization for additional information on these measures.
Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
CDC Travel Notice for Japan: On March 21, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Level 3 Warning (Avoid Nonessential Travel) for COVID-19 in Japan.
COVID-19 Update for U.S. Embassy Personnel: The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo advised its personnel on March 23 that in light of the new guidelines issued by the Government of Japan concerning people arriving from the United States, all Mission personnel and family members arriving in Japan from the United States as of March 23 must self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival. The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and other Mission facilities throughout Japan remain open and staffed.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Japan.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Visit the Department of State’s Japan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- U.S. Embassy Tokyo
Telephone: 03-3224-5000, After-Hours: 03-3224-5000
- U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
- U.S. Consulate Nagoya
- U.S. Consulate Fukuoka
- U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
- U.S. Consulate General Naha
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444