An official website of the United States government

Adults (age 18 and up)
Application in person


Unless you qualify to mail in your passport application, appointments are required.


  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.

Adults (age 18 and up) application in person

Appointments are required.

You will need:

  • Current or expired passport (original + 1 photocopy)
  • A completed form DS-82 or DS-11 (complete online and print out single-sided)
    You should use form DS-82 if the most recent passport was issued:

    • When you were age 16 or older
    • Within the last 15 years (and was valid for 10 years)
    • In your current name (or you can document the name change)

    If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply in person using form DS-11.
    How to complete the online application form
    NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.

  • One valid proof of ID
  • One passport photo
    ONLY WHITE backgrounds will be accepted (blue backgrounds will be rejected) / 2″×2″ in size / NO eyeglasses / NO uniforms
  • One self-addressed “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” 
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS : 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.
  • Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)
    If your ID does not match your name that is on your current/expired passport, please bring proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable. (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)
  • Passport book DS-82: $130 or DS-11: $165 (please click HERE for more information on fees and for acceptable forms of payment)