An official website of the United States government

Adults (age 18 and up)
Apply for an adult passport – my last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago


Unless you qualify to mail in your passport application, appointments are required. The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and consulates in Japan have resumed routine American Citizen Services with limited appointment availability.

My last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago


  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.

Applicants must apply in person. Appointments are required.

You will need:

  • Current/expired passport or Proof of U.S. citizenship (original)
  • A completed form DS-11
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
    *NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
  • One valid proof of ID (original + 1 photocopy)
  • One passport photo
    ONLY WHITE backgrounds will be accepted (blue backgrounds will be rejected) / 2″×2″ in size / NO eyeglasses / NO uniforms
  • One self-addressed “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” 
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS : 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.
  • Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)If your ID does not match your name that is on your current/expired passport or proof of citizenship document, please bring proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable. (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)
  • Passport Fee