An official website of the United States government

Children Under 16



  • Processing time is about 6-8 weeks.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.

Children Under 16

Applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents. Appointments are required.

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)
  • Parental Consent
    For children under age 16, BOTH parents/guardians MUST authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go to the U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate with the child to apply for the passport.  IF BOTH PARENTS OR GUARDIANS CANNOT ATTEND THE INTERVIEW IN PERSON, CLICK HERE.
  • Proof of parent-child relationship (original + 1 photocopy) which can be demonstrated by any one of the following:
    • U.S. birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Foreign birth certificate (e.g. Family Register “Koseki Tohon”)
    • Adoption decree
    • Guardianship/Custody decree

    Note: All documents must be original – no photocopies. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation.

  • Present Parents’ valid IDs (original + 1 photocopy)
  • One passport photo
    ONLY WHITE backgrounds will be accepted (blue backgrounds will be rejected) / 2″×2″ in size / NO eyeglasses / NO uniforms
  • A completed form DS-11
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
    *NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
  • One self-addressed “Japan Post LetterPack envelope
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS: 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.
  • Passport book $135 (please click HERE for more information on fees and for acceptable forms of payment)

Parental Consent for Minors

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

Applying for a Social Security Number

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.