An official website of the United States government

Marriage Certificate

  • If married in Japan; Family Register “Koseki Tohon” OR Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage Report “Konin Todoke Juri Shomeisho” issued by the Japanese city office.
  • If married in the United States; Original / “certified-copy” Marriage Certificate issued by city/county/state. (NOT a church or “bride/groom” copy. Please make sure your certificate has a file date.)
  • English translation of your foreign language document. (the translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional)