An official website of the United States government

Parental Consent for Minors

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

If… Then…

You have sole legal authority

You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person (e.g. Japanese Family Register showing the death of the non-applying parent)
  • Japanese Family Register showing divorce and name of custodial parent

Foreign documents must be accompanied by English translations.

One parent is unable to appear

If one parent/guardian cannot accompany the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.” You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot apply with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public AND
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that he/she presented to the notary public with Form DS-3053
  • DS-3053

Photocopies or scanned copies are not acceptable. The form must be less than three months old.

Please note:  In Japan, a DS-3053 notarized by a Japanese notary public is acceptable. If the document is notarized at a Japanese notary public, please be sure to attach an English translation of the notarized page. You or anyone with the appropriate language ability may do the translation.

You cannot locate the other parent, or other exigent circumstances apply

You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.”

  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.
  • We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.

Neither parent able to appear

A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” from each parent.  Each parent/guardian must notarize a Form DS-3053 and give the third party permission to apply for the child.

  • The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.
  • When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.