An official website of the United States government

Passport Card


Unless you qualify to mail in your passport application, appointments are required.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and seaports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card cannot be used for international air travel. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

When outside the United States and the above-mentioned countries, the passport card can be used as a valid citizenship identification, though it is not valid for travel internationally.

How do I get a passport card?

You must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate nearest you with an appointment using form DS-82 if you have a passport book or card that:

  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years (and was valid for 10 years)
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person using form DS-11.

For more information view our instructions. Please note that we may need to shorten your name on the passport book to match the passport card due to limited space available on the passport card.



The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same period of validity as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal.