An official website of the United States government

Adults (age 16 and up)
Passport Renewal by Mail with Online Fee Payment

You must answer YES to all of the following:

  1. I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
  2. I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
  3. I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
  4. My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
  5. The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
  6. My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application.)
  7. I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Japan.
  8. I am only applying for a passport book (I am not applying for a passport card).

If you do not meet these criteria please see Adults (age 16 and older) application in person for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in person at the Embassy/Consulate.  As a reminder, the online fee payment option is currently available for passport book renewals only.
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, please submit the documents on this checklist by mail:

Current or expired passport (original + 1 photocopy)
A completed form DS-82 (complete online, print out single-sided, SIGN and date)
NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.

One passport photo
ONLY WHITE backgrounds will be accepted (blue backgrounds will be rejected) / 2″×2″ in size / NO eyeglasses / NO uniforms

Passport fee payment confirmation
Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you submit.  If you wish to pay by U.S. postal money order, you do not have to make an online payment.  Please include the U.S. postal money order with your application when you mail it in.

Two  “Japan Post LetterPack envelopes(1 for sending in application + 1 self-addressed for receiving a new passport)
Please select any combination of the two LetterPack envelopes listed below:
– LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
– LetterPack PLUS : 520 yen, traceable, signature required
Make sure to write your complete address on the return envelope. The address must be in Japan. Go ahead and fold the return envelope in half, if necessary. Prior to mailing your application to the Embassy or consulate, remove the tracking number sticker from the envelope and retain it for your records. The Embassy or consulate does not keep records of tracking numbers.For persons using an APO/FPO address, send one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS).  Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.

 <if applicable> Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)
If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce or court order, please include proof of your name change.  Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).


Where to Mail Your Passport Application

Once you have gathered the above materials, mail your application package to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo or U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe depending on where you reside.  Please use the map below to determine where to submit your application.

NOTE: For persons using APO/FPO address, please send your applications to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo.

U.S. Embassy Tokyo
U.S. Embassy Tokyo, Passport Unit
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
Or, for Military Postal Service (MPS):
PSC 471 Box 1111 FPO, AP 96347
U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe, Passport Unit
2-11-5 Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543