You must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application.)
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Japan.
- I am only applying for a passport book (I am not applying for a passport card).
If you do not meet these criteria please see Adults (age 16 and older) application in person for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in person at the Embassy/Consulate. As a reminder, the online fee payment option is currently available for passport book renewals only.
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, please submit:
- Current or expired passport
- A completed form DS-82 (complete online, print out single-sided, SIGN and date)
NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
Where to Mail Your Passport Application
Once you have gathered the above materials, mail your application package to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo or U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe depending on where you reside. Please use the map below to determine where to submit your application.
NOTE: For persons using APO/FPO address, please send your applications to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo.
U.S. Embassy Tokyo
U.S. Embassy Tokyo, Passport Unit
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
Or, for Military Postal Service (MPS):
PSC 471 Box 1111 FPO, AP 96347
U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe, Passport Unit
2-11-5 Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543