The U.S. Embassies in Tokyo and Seoul are excited to host a three-session “accelerator” course from U.S. experts to 10 female Japanese and 10 female Korean entrepreneurs as a part of our efforts to encourage inclusive economic growth.
Participants will gain skills in confidence building, marketing, strategy development, obtaining financing in the United States, and pitching to a U.S. audience. Participants will be paired with a mentor for one year. Selected mentors have a strong understanding of both the United States and Japan.
Participants will also have the opportunity to expand their business network to include female entrepreneurs in the Republic of Korea participating in the program. Furthermore, each participant will promote her company during the pitch session, to both U.S. and Japanese companies and government officials. The top three pitch competition winners will be invited to an event with the U.S. Ambassador.
While there is a preference for applicants who have established companies, those who have developed ideas for a business are encouraged to apply.
Your company and participation should meet the eligibility criteria below. If still in the idea stage, your plan should be consistent with the same criteria.
- Owned or managed (CFO, CIO) by women entrepreneurs
- Founded on or after April 1, 2012 (less than 10 years old)
- Annual revenue of $10 million or less
- 40 or fewer employees
- Developing a new product or service or delivering an existing product or service to market in new ways.
- Would like to expand to the United States in the future.
- Basic English-speaking level for networking and pitch competition
- Commitment to attend all sessions of the program
Program Timeline (*Each training session will have simultaneous Japanese interpretation):
- April: Application period opens
- May: Selection period for participants
- June: Networking session & first training session (Part 1 & 2): Setting the Stage for Growth*
Focus: Confidence building, marketing, strategy development
- July: Second training session: Financing*
Focus: Financing networks in the United States
- July: Third training session: Pitching*
Focus: Pitching skills for U.S. audiences
- August/September: Pitch Event and Conclusion of Program
The deadline for submitting this application is May 8, 2022.
Online application form
POWER is a U.S. Department of State initiative to promote women’s economic empowerment: “Providing Opportunities for Women’s Economic Rise.”
Please send questions to POWERAccelerator@state.gov.