An official website of the United States government

Child and Family Matters
Checklist for Reporting Birth in Japan to U.S. Citizen Parent(s)


The U.S. Embassy and consulates have resumed routine services with limited appointment availability. For online CRBA applications, you MUST allow 5 working days between payment and your interview date.

Complete and bring the following items indicated on this checklist.


  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided).  Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. (Click here for Japanese translation templates.)
  • The child must be present at the time of application.  Generally, both parents also attend the interview.  However, if one of the parents cannot appear in person, please click here for more details.

CRBA Checklist

Consular Report of Birth Application (DS-2029)

  • Form DS-2029
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (Sample Application)
  • Hand write any information that needs to be added or corrected after printing out the form.
  • For applicants using online CRBA application (Tokyo only), there is no need to complete the Form DS-2029.

Passport Application (DS-11)

Proof of Child’s Birth (original + 1 photocopy) and English translation
One of the following documents:

  • Family Register “Koseki Tohon” (if one of the parents is Japanese)
  • Certificate of Acceptance of Birth Report “Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho” issued by the Japanese city office that registered your child’s birth
  • Certificate of Birth Report “Shusshou Todoke Kisai Jiko Shomeisho” issued by the Japanese city office that registered your child’s birth
  • Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. military hospital in Japan

Attach an English translation of the document. The translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional.
*Note: As long as the document is an original, the date of issuance is irrelevant.

Affidavit/Statement Requesting Name Change

  • Some parents may wish to have the CRBA or passport reflect a different name from the one that appears on the child’s birth certificate.  For immaterial name changes, please prepare an affidavit/statement signed by both parents explaining your particular situation and why you wish to change the child’s name.  Your affidavit/statement does not need to be notarized.  However, for other name changes, you may be required to provide an amended birth certificate reflecting the name change.  If you cannot obtain an amended birth certificate, or if local vital records authorities will not amend the certificate, please prepare an affidavit/statement signed by both parents explaining the circumstances, accompanied by verification that the vital records office cannot or will not issue an amended certificate.  Additional information may be requested by the consular official.  Please note that some name change requests may not be acceptable due to government regulations.  If you have questions, you can inquire at the time of your appointment.

Parents’ Marriage Certificate (original + 1 photocopy)

  • If married in Japan; Family Register “Koseki Tohon” OR Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage Report “Konin Todoke Juri Shomeisho” issued by the Japanese city office.
  • If married in the United States; Original / “certified-copy” Marriage Certificate issued by city/county/state. (NOT a church or “bride/groom” copy. Please make sure your certificate has a file date.)
  • If married in another countryOriginal / “certified-copy” Marriage Certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place.
  • English translation of your foreign language document. (The translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional)

Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages for both parents (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Original certified copies of divorce decree and/or death certificate(s) for all prior marriages.  Divorce decrees must be issued by the court and include an embossed or wet seal.  Photocopies sent from a lawyer may not be the original certified copy.
  • English translation for foreign documents (e.g. Family Register “Koseki Tohon”).  The translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional.

Evidence of Parent’s U.S. Citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of citizenship.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, he/she must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization.

Evidence of physical presence (can be originals or photocopies)

  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, he/she must bring proof of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Primary evidence that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. include: Transcripts from high school and/or college, Wage Statements, and DD214 Separation Statement (for Military Members).  Secondary evidence includes: Credit Card Bills, Utility bills, Tax forms, Airline ticket stubs, and former/current passport showing stamps.  Please note that this list is not exhaustive.  If you are unable to provide sufficient evidence, the application may be placed on hold until you submit further documentation.
  • Physical presence in the United States is one of the key requirements in order to transmit citizenship.  For specific information, please see this page.

Proof of relationship

  • If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, photos, print out of e-mails)

Both Parents’ IDs (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of ID.
  • For foreign national spouses, please bring passports.

Application Fee


One self-addressed LetterPack Plus/Light envelope

  • Click here for information on the LetterPack Plus/Light envelopes.
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS : 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS).  Please note that MPS envelopes are not trackable.  The Embassy cannot mail MPS envelopes using tracking numbers or by registered/certified mail.

Can a third party accompany a passport or CRBA applicant to their interview?

Applying for a Social Security Number

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport.  To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.