An official website of the United States government

Documents that Must Be Obtained from a U.S. State

Documents that Must Be Obtained from a U.S. State (e.g. U.S. Birth Certificate)

Vital Records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., such records are usually held by state, county or city governments, depending on location. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records.

Visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for an on-line source of more information about obtaining vital records in the U.S., such as birth certificates.

There are also on-line services that will help you obtain records for a fee.

One such service is VitalChek, which allows you to request birth, death, and marriage certifications online, by phone, or by fax.

Another service called US Birth Certificate can help you obtain or amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in addition to obtaining a birth certificate. You must have a physical street address to use this service (no APO’s, FPO’s, or PO Boxes).