Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we will only respond if your question is not already answered elsewhere on the U.S. Embassy website. Please expect to receive a response within three business days.
Redirect your inquiry if it is related to:
- Passport/Reports of Birth/Notarial Services: Please contact our American Citizen Services team using our ACS Navigator.
- Visas for non U.S. citizens entering the United States: If you have questions about U.S. visas, please contact the U.S. visa application service call center: https://ustraveldocs.com/jp/en/contact-us/
- Social Security: For questions about Social Security numbers, replacement cards and all other federal benefits-related questions, please fill out this online inquiry form.
- U.S. military personnel or military contractors: Please contact your chain of command or U.S. Forces Japan directly.
- For non-Consular inquiries please use our inquiry form.
For entry and exit requirements to and from Japan, as well as information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic in Japan, please consult the U.S. Embassy website COVID-19 page.
If you are entering or transiting under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), consult with your chain of command or leadership at United States Forces Japan for information about entry, quarantine, and travel restrictions. The U.S. Embassy cannot advise on these matters.
Resources for Travel to Japan
- Visit our Embassy website for information on conditions in Japan.
- We encourage all travelers to read the State Department’s Country Specific Information for Japan.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the Japan National Tourism Organization for information on travel restrictions to Japan.
- The Embassy strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Japan enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive emergency alerts. Please visit the U.S. Embassy’s Alerts and Messages webpage to access messages for U.S. Citizens.
- Please consult our website for information about arrests, death, or other emergencies.
- Please click here for the U.S. Embassy’s holiday calendar.
For other information not provided on the Embassy website, please complete this separate form:
Proceed to online form
Please allow us three business days to reply to your message.