An official website of the United States government

International Parental Child Abduction

Japan and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since April 1, 2014.

If your child has been abducted from the U.S. to Japan, speak with a U.S. State Department officer to discuss your case. We know what resources are available in different countries and can answer questions. Click for specific information for Japan including emergency contact information.

The State Department’s most recent Annual Report on International Child Abduction is available here on their website.