An official website of the United States government

Certified True Copies of Foreign Passports for Obtaining an ITIN Number

To get a certified true copy of a foreign passport for purposes of obtaining an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) or PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) for use with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), please refer to the list of acceptance agents maintained by the IRS. Please see more information available at IRS.gov.

The U.S. Embassy or consulates can also certify true copies of foreign passports. Please make an appointment with the Embassy or nearest consulate and make sure to bring the original foreign passport to your appointment.