An official website of the United States government

Obtaining Vital Records

The Embassy in Tokyo keeps no files of the different documents we issue, such as a Consular Report of Birth, or documents dealing with the death of an American in Japan. These records are instead filed in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Japanese civil documents, such as records of marriages and divorces in Japan. These records are held by the Japanese government. Other records, such as birth certificates for people born in the U.S., are stored in the state of origin.

This page is designed to help you locate the vital record documents you need. The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in Japanese.