In Japan, if your immediate safety is at risk, dial “110” or contact your local police department. In non-emergency situations, call the Tokyo English-speaking Police Line at 03-3501-0110.
Resources in Japan (in English)
- Pathways to Safety International, 833-SAFE-833, firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the toll-free crisis line from overseas, first dial your AT&T USADirect access number and at the prompt, enter phone number: 833-SAFE-833 (833-723-3833). Pathways to Safety International is a nongovernmental organization that specializes in serving Americans experiencing interpersonal and gender based violence abroad.
- TELL (Tokyo English Life Line) – Tokyo
TEL: 03-5774-0992. From 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily. Free anonymous telephone counseling. Also, the TELL Counseling Center offers professional face-to-face counseling on a flexible-fee basis.
- Foreign Residents’ Advisory Center
TEL: 03-5320-7744 English services available weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to noon and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Located in the Citizens’ Consultation Section, Public Relations and Public Hearings Division, Bureau of Citizens and Cultural Affairs, Foreign Residents’ Advisory Center, No.1 Building (3rd floor), Tokyo Metropolitan Government, 2-8-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo. They provide general counseling services on marital, family and other personal issues. Consultations are completely free, and confidentiality is strictly observed.
- International Medical Information Center (AMDA)
TEL: 03-5285-8088 Services are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean and Thai via telephone from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Medical information, interpreter assistance, referrals, and information about the Japanese health care system.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Center
Foreign Language Assistance – TEL: 03-5285-8181. Services available from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays. Information about medical facilities and the Japanese health insurance system. Emergency Translation Services – TEL: 03-5285-8185. Interpretation services for hospitalized foreign patients are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean and Thai from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. weekdays and from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
- Counseling Center for Women – TEL: 050-1501-2803, Monday to Friday, 10:00 – 17:00
- Counseling Services on Violence from Husbands or Partners, English brochure with list of phone numbers for victims of violence from husbands or partners by Kanagawa Prefectural Government
Legal Resources in Japan (in English)
- Tokyo Bar Association – TEL: 03-5367-5280 (reservation line, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. weekdays, Japanese only). Legal counseling in Japanese (with an English interpreter) is available from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. A fee of JPY 5,000 (plus consumption tax) will be charged for up to 30 minutes of consultation. After 30 minutes, the fee is an additional JPY 2,500 (plus consumption tax) for each 15 minute block of time. Free counseling (with an English interpreter) is available on Thursdays for those with no or low income. Bring all documents to explain your case.
- Japan Legal Support Center
TEL: 0570-078377. A nationwide legal support center that helps callers locate professional legal support. The Call Center is available 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturdays.
- List of Attorneys in Japan – To see a list of English-speaking attorneys in Japan, please visit the Embassy’s list of attorneys.
Resources in Japan (in Japanese)
- Tokyo Crime Victim Hotline (by Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department) – TEL: 03-3597-7830. Services available from 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. weekdays.
- Women’s Human Rights Hotline (by Ministry of Justice Legal Affairs Bureaus) – TEL: 0570-070-810. Services available from 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. weekdays. This service offers support and advice to women who are victims of bullying, sexual harassment at work, domestic violence or psychological abuse.
- H.E.L.P. (House in Emergency of Love and Peace) – Tokyo
TEL: 03-3368-8855. Japanese, and English languages spoken. Christian-based organization offering refuge, counseling, and legal services to women in need, 10 p.m. – 5 p.m., weekdays only.
- Counseling Center for Women 050-1501-2803, Monday to Friday, 10:00 – 17:00
- Domestic Violence Counseling and Support Center Each prefectural police department has a Domestic Violence Counseling and Support Center (DV Center). Japanese speaking staff only.
Resources in the United States
In the United States, many organizations exist to assist victims of domestic violence (DV). These organizations help address issues such as family, shelter, counseling, legal counseling and attorney referrals, legal assistance activities, relief assistance to the poor and needy applicants, and child support.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) (www.thehotline.org) – Anonymous and confidential help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Assistance is available in English and Spanish, with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information about domestic violence, and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can find help in your area from the National Domestic Violence Hotline.
- Domestic Violence Programs
U.S. Department of Justice
Japanese Language Organizations
Calling Collect from Japan to the U.S.
Try one of the below numbers to reach U.S. telephone companies (Home Country Direct Service):
Disclaimer: The U.S. Department of State does not assume responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the firms whose names appear on this list. Inclusion is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. This list is not exhaustive; no negative connotation can be drawn from the absence of a name from this list.