An official website of the United States government

Social Security

U.S. Economic Impact Payment Checks

The Economic Impact Payment program is administered by the IRS. The U.S. Embassy cannot verify eligibility or advise customers on what to do with the checks.

The Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit processes claims for retirement, disability and survivor benefits, Social Security Number applications, and post-entitlement actions for beneficiaries under the various federal benefits programs.

Note: Appointments are required for Social Security/Federal Benefits Services.
Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit through our online inquiry form.

Social Security Online Services (mySocialSecurity)

Previously, you needed a U.S. mailing address to access Social Security’s free my Social Security account and use their online services. Now, many people without a U.S. mailing address can create a personal my Social Security account and use the online services with an ID.me credential. If you don’t already have an ID.me credential, the following are the steps to create one:

  1. Go to www.ssa.gov/myaccount
  2. On the my Social Security page, select the “Create an Account” button and then select “Sign in with ID.me.”
  3. Select the “Create an ID.me account” link and follow the instructions.
  4. On ID.me’s “Verify Your Identity” screen, select the “I don’t live in the United States” link at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions to complete the registration process.
  5. Once you create your credential, you will be returned to the my Social Security webpage for next steps.

If you already have an ID.me credential, select “Sign In” from the my Social Security page and then sign in using ID.me. You will be redirected to your my Social Security account.

Note: If you had a my Social Security account prior to moving overseas, you will need to create an ID.me credential to use it from an international address.

Once you have created your personal my Social Security account, you will be able to:

  • Check your earnings
  • Get your benefit estimates
  • Check the status of your application or appeal
  • View, print, or save a benefit verification letter (Social Security is unable to mail to a foreign address)
  • Change Special Notice Options (SNO Notices)
  • Access some representative payee services
  • View, print, or save a replacement SSA-1099/1042S tax statement (Social Security is unable to mail replacement statements to a foreign address)
  • Access online notices
  • Request a replacement Medicare Card

Some services are not available outside of the United States, including:

  • Changing your address
  • Changing your direct deposit
  • Requesting a replacement Social Security card

General information

For general information on Social Security, please visit the SSA website.

If you are experiencing problems accessing the SSA website, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit through our online inquiry form.

Social Security Cards / Numbers

If you are applying for a Social Security Number, or have questions regarding your Social Security Card or Number, view our Social Security Cards and Numbers page.

Benefits Eligibility and Applications

If you are inquiring into your eligibility for Social Security benefits, and/or have questions regarding the benefits application process, please view our Benefits Eligibility and Applications page.

Post-Entitlement Services

If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, and have a question or problem with your benefits account, please view our Post-Entitlement Services page.


Handy List of Social Security Frequently Asked Questions

Other Federal Benefits

  • Department of Veterans Affairs
    The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) processes survivor claims, educational benefits, compensation and pension examinations, etc. For more details of benefits available and downloadable forms, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

  • Office of Personnel Management
    The Office of Personnel Management website offers information for federal employee benefits such as retirement programs, thrift plans, and health insurance.

  • Department of Labor
    The Department of Labor website offers information on benefits programs such as the Family and Medical Leave Act and workers’ compensation programs, (Black Lung, FECA, Longshore).

  • Railroad Retirement Board
    The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) administers comprehensive retirement-survivor and unemployment-sickness benefit programs for the nation’s railroad workers and their families. The RRB also administers certain Social Security benefit payments and railroad workers’ Medicare coverage. Visit the RRB website for more information.

  • Department of Defense
    All Department of Defense benefits matters are handled through the U.S. military bases in Japan.

  • Office Hours and Contact Info
    Federal Benefits contact information and office hours