An official website of the United States government

Sources of Help

We hope the following reference may be useful to you. The U.S. government does not endorse any of these organizations. You should also look into additional sources of help suggested by friends and colleagues.

General Assistance

Victims of Crime – Information and resource for victims of crime.

A Daily Life Support Portal for Foreign Nationals by Japan’s Ministry of Justice
Useful information for foreign nationals residing in Japan.

Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC)
The Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC) is a governmental contact point that supports the residence of foreign nationals who are living and having an active role in Japan. Provides support for counseling requests from foreign nationals, support for companies that want to hire foreign nationals, and support for local government engaged in supporting foreign nationals.

Main phone number Tel: 0570-011000
From overseas or Navi dial: +81-3-5363-3013

Ministry of Internal and Communication (MIC),
-Administrative Counseling Service (brochure)
The Administrative Counseling Center receives complaints, opinions and requests from the public regarding central government’s action and offers mediations necessary for their resolution.
Email: kikumimmi.japan@soumu.go.jp (counseling in English)
Tel: (0570) 090110 (counseling in Japanese)

Immigration Information Centers
Tel: (0570) 013904 (IP, PHS, Overseas: 03-5796-7112)
8:30 – 17:15, Monday through Friday
Email: info-tokyo@immi-moj.go.jp
List of regional Immigration Offices in Japan

Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau
5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8255
Tel: (0570) 034259 (IP, PHS, Overseas: 03-5796-7234) – Press #1 for English
09:00 to 12:00; 13:00 to 16:00 Monday through Friday

Japan Visitor Hotline
Tel: 050-3816-2787 (Overseas: +81-50-3816-2787)
24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Service covered: Support and assistance when emergencies (accident, illness, etc.), natural disasters, general tourist information.  Operated by Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO).

Consumer Hotline for Tourists, National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan
Tel: 03-5449-0906
10:00 – 16:00 Monday through Friday (closed on weekends, national holidays and Dec. 29 – Jan. 3)
Offers telephone consultations for overseas visitors that experience consumer issues during their stay in Japan.

Foreign Resident’s Advisory Center, Tokyo Metropolitan Gov. (FRAC)
Tel: 03-5320-7744
General counseling service on marital, family and other personal difficulties including traffic accidents. Can explain nuts and bolts of living in Japan. English service is available 9:30 – 12:00 & 13:00 -17:00, Monday through Friday.

Tokyo Intercultural Portal Site
This Portal Site run by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government contains all the information needed for a foreigner to live safely and enjoy the life in Tokyo.

Citizen’s Network for Global Activities (CINGA)
CINGA is a group of experts who aim to solve various problems and issues surrounding foreign residents and to build a multicultural society through citizen activities.

Consultation Centers for Foreign Residents by Prefectural and Municipal Government
Tokyo’s Ward and City Office Foreign Resident Advisory Services
Consultation Services for Foreign Residents, Kanagawa, Tel: 045-896-2895
Yokohama Foreign Residents Information Center, Tel: 045-222-1209
Chiba Convention Bureau and International Center, Tel: 043-297-0245
Fukushima International Association, Tel: 024-524-1315/1316
Gunma International Association, Tel: 027-243-7271
Ibaraki International Association, Tel: 029-244-3811
Nagano Prefecture Intercultural Consultation Center
Niigata International Association, Tel: 025-241-1881
Saitama International Association Tel: 048-833-3296, Tel: 048-835-2423
The Shizuoka Association for International Relations
Tochigi International Association Tel: 028-627-3399
Association for International Relations in Yamagata Tel: 023-646-8861
Yamanashi International Association Tel: 055-222-3390
Okinawa International Exchange and Human Resources Development Foundation Tel: 098-942-9215

Hokkaido and Northern Japan

Hokkaido Foreign Resident Support Center, Tel: tel.011-200-9595
Sapporo Help Desk for Foreign Residents, Tel: 011-211-3678
Consulting Service Desk of Aomori International Association, Tel: 017‐718‐5147
Consultation Center for Foreigners, (Akita International Association) Tel: 018-884-7050
Iwate Support Center for Foreign Residents, Tel: 019-654-8900
Miyagi Support Center for Foreign Nationals, Tel: 022-275-9990
Sendai Multicultural Center, Tel: 022-265-2471

Counseling Services

TELL Counseling, Tel: 03-4550-1146
Professional face-to-face counseling and psychotherapy for individuals, couples and families in Tokyo and Yokohama. TELL Counseling accepts Cigna International and Tricare. TELL Counseling offers a sliding scale of fees for services, depending on income level, and has distance counseling services available for those outside the Tokyo area.

Yorisoi Hotline, Tel: 0120-279-338 (*Press 2 for non-Japanese speakers)
Free telephone consultations in English.  Yorisoi Hotlien is a subsidy project by Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

International Mental Health Professionals Japan
This organization offers an online, searchable database of mental health professionals throughout Japan. You can search for a care provider in a number of ways, including by location or languages spoken.

Japan Healthcare
A non-profit organization that matches foreigners to healthcare providers that match their needs and language, including psychiatrists and psychologists.

Oki Counseling
English-speaking online counseling available.

Tokyo Counseling Services
Offers individual counseling, family therapy, couples counseling, and group therapy in English, Japanese, French, German, Korean, Chinese, and Portuguese, as well as long-distance Skype counseling.

Tokyo Mental Health
English-speaking and UK-licensed Psychiatry and Counseling clinic in Akasaka and Shintomi; psychological testing also available.

O’Sullivan Counseling
English-speaking online counseling available.

Alcoholics Anonymous in Tokyo
Tel: 080-9194-7089
email: inquiries@aatokyo.org.

Supporting Specialists on Children and Family issues;

Prof. Akira Aoki (Clinical Psychologist)
Taisho University
Department of Clinical Psychology
3-20-1 Nishi-Sugamo, Toshima,
Tokyo, 170-8470, JAPAN

Prof. Noriko Odagiri (Clinical Psychologist)
Nijiiro Partners

Medical Assistance

AMDA International Medical Information Center
Tel: 03-6233-9266
English is available 10:00 – 15:00, Monday through Friday.
Medical referral service.

Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Center Foreign Language Assistance
Tel: 03-5285-8181 (9:00 – 20:00)

Japan HIV Center (JHC) AIDS Hotline Tel: 03-5259-0256
English is available 12:00 – 14:00, Saturday only.

PLACE Tokyo, Tel: 03-3361-8909
AIDS counseling 13:00 – 17:00, Sunday.

Legal Assistance

Houterasu (The Japan Legal Support Center)
A nationwide legal support center which helps callers locate professional support in civil and criminal matters. Call Center: 0570-078377.

Legal Counseling for Foreigners by Local Bar Associations

Visit the Japan Federation of Bar Associations’ website for more details:

Human Rights Counseling Center for Foreigners
Tel: 0570-090-911

Employment Assistance

Labor Consultation Services in Japan
List of labor consultation hotline and offices in Japan available in foreign languages, by Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare.

The Foreign Worker’s Handbook 2021 in English
Compiled by Tokyo Metropolitan Government, useful for all foreign residents in Japan.

List of Hello-Work in Japan with interpreters (PDF file)

Tokyo Employment Service Center for Foreigners
The center supports foreign job seekers including foreign students who seek employment in Japan and foreign nationals with eligible work visas.
Tel: 03-5339-8625

Tokyo Metropolitan Labor Consultation Center
Labor consultation for foreign residents:

  • Iidabashi Office: Tel: 03-3265-6110, Mon – Fri, 14:00 – 16:00
  • Osaki Office: Tel: 03-3495-6110, Wed. only, 14:00 – 16:00
  • Kokubunji Office: Tel: 042-321-6110, Wed. only, 14:00 – 16:00