An official website of the United States government

What can the Embassy do to help?

As a representative of the U.S. State Department in Japan, one of the most important roles for a consular officer is to ensure the safety and well-being of U.S. citizens overseas, especially minors.


☑ Provide information about various resources that may assist you in pursuing the return of, or access to, your child.

☑ Provide a list of attorneys and other resources available in Japan.

☑ Conduct Consular Visits: upon receiving a request from the Office of Children’s Issues, and with the consent of the guardian parent, a consular officer from the U.S. Embassy will attempt to conduct a visit to verify the health and well-being of the child.

☑ Liaise with the U.S. State Department and Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

☑ Provide country specific information.



✖ Provide legal advice, recommend a specific course of action, or represent you in court.

✖ Guarantee the return of, or access to, your child.

✖ Act as a mediator.

✖ Provide funding, pay legal fees, court costs, or any other fees associate with court cases, travel, or lodging.

✖ Take custody of the child.

✖ Conduct investigations or assume a law enforcement role.

The Embassy is prohibited from taking custody of a U.S. citizen, and cannot become involved in legal matters. Our primary concern is for the safety and welfare of the U.S. citizen child.