U.S. Citizen Services

NOTICE: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates strongly encourage our customers to make appointments at the location nearest them. Applicants should avoid traveling throughout Japan solely for the purpose of obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, passport, or notarial service appointment. If the Consulate nearest you does not have appointments available online and you have an urgent need for service, please contact us at the email addresses listed below.

Appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo:

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has resumed some routine services.  To schedule an appointment, please click here. If the appointments are fully booked, please check our website at the beginning of each month for the following month’s appointments. Please note that mail-in renewal is available for most adult passports (see more information).

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please make an appointment from this link. It is no longer possible to apply for a social security card at the same time as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Appointments in Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka/Kobe, Fukuoka, and Naha:

Online appointments are now available for Tokyo, SapporoOsaka/KobeFukuoka, and Naha. In order to avoid unnecessary travel, please make an appointment at the nearest location.

Please find a listing below of the services that the American Citizen Services section provides. You must click on the service you want, follow all instructions, and then schedule an appointment for the post that serves you.

Alerts and Messages

COVID-19 Information
See all Messages and Alerts for U.S. Visitors to Japan.