- To make or cancel an appointment for passport/report of birth/notarial services in Tokyo, click here.
- Please bring a printout of the “Appointment Details” screen when coming to the Embassy. Confirmation email will NOT be sent after you make an appointment.
- If you are unable to print out your appointment details, please write down your appointment password. You will need your appointment password to change or cancel your appointment.
- For applicants who used the electronic application for the Consular Report of Birth, please allow 5 working days between payment submission and interview appointment time.
- To make an appointment for loss of U.S. citizenship, please click here.
- The Embassy in Tokyo does NOT store laptops or large luggage. Please see the full list of Prohibited Items.
- To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at FBU.Tokyo@ssa.gov. It is no longer possible to apply for a social security card at the same time as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- For U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (green card) related information, please click here.
For NahaAll non-emergency consular services are provided by appointment only.
- To make or cancel an appointment for passports, report of birth, and notary services (Naha), Please click here. Please print the appointment confirmation page and bring it with you on your appointment date. In addition, each family member seeking a service related to passports or birth registration should also make an individual appointment.
- For emergencies, click here for contact information.
- To apply for a social security card, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at FBU.Tokyo@ssa.gov. Please note that it is no longer possible to apply for a social security card at the same time as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. All inquiries regarding social security card, federal benefits falls under the jurisdiction of the Federal Benefits Unit.
Non-emergency services are by appointment only.
Each family member seeking a service related to passports or birth registration should make an individual appointment. At the time you receive your appointment confirmation page to print, you also will be offered the option to make a separate appointment for another individual.
- To make or cancel an appointment for passports, reports of birth, and notary services (Osaka), please click here.
- For emergencies, please click here for contact information.
For SapporoTo make or cancel an appointment for passports, reports of birth or notarial services (Sapporo), please click here.
Note: For notarial services, please select “Schedule an appointment for any passport services …” and write “Notarial service requested” in the “Name of non-applicant …” field in your request. Currently no slots are utilized for “Schedule an appointment for notarial services.”
For FukuokaTo make or cancel an appointment for passports and reports of birth (Fukuoka), please click here.
- Please make one appointment per family, even if you have multiple passport applications or reports of birth abroad.
- If one of the services you require is a birth report, your appointment should be for “Report the birth abroad of a child.” If you create your appointment under a different category, we will not be able to accept your birth report application during your scheduled appointment.
- Please provide a phone number and email address that you normally use. We may need to contact you regarding your appointment.
- Military families are encouraged to consult your base Legal Office for the completeness of your application package prior to visiting the consulate.
For NagoyaThe U.S. Consulate in Nagoya no longer provides American Citizen Services. American citizens are advised to consult the website of the U.S. Consulate General in Osaka.