Consular Report of Birth Abroad

NOTICE: The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has suspended all routine appointments for passports and notarial services. We accept applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in order to document citizenship for a child, but you may experience delays. To schedule an appointment, please email the Embassy (Tokyo). For applicants who used the electronic application for the Consular Report of Birth, please allow 5 working days between payment submission and interview appointment time.

Online Appointments are Necessary:

   • Sapporo   • Osaka/Kobe    • Fukuoka    • Naha  

Congratulations on the birth of your child!

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is under the age of 18 at the time of application. We strongly encourage you to report your child’s birth as soon as possible and at least 3 months before any planned travel.

Please bring ALL necessary documents to your appointment. Failure to bring all the required documents will result in you having to reschedule another appointment at a later date. We cannot accept incomplete applications.

Do not forget to bring your child!

  • Please note, by law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
  • Parents who were not married at the time of the child’s birth also need to bring evidence of parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, cards, photos)
  • Click here for frequently asked questions.
  • To request a duplicate copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please click here.

Where do you plan to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?