New Online CRBA Application Feature!

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has resumed some routine services. To schedule an appointment for a date on or after October 1, 2020, please click here. If you require an appointment prior to October 1, 2020, please email

The U.S. Consulate General, Naha (Okinawa) has suspended all routine appointments for passports and notarial services. To schedule an appointment, please email the Consulate General at

Online Appointments are Necessary:

Tokyo    • Sapporo    • Osaka/Kobe    • Fukuoka

You can apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) electronically at the U.S. Embassy Tokyo. To apply, your child must have been born in JAPAN and you must travel to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo for the in-person interview. Please do NOT use the electronic application if you plan to interview at the U.S. consulates in Sapporo, Osaka, Fukuoka, or Naha.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.  We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online at the U.S. Embassy Tokyo, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.
  1. Was the child born in JAPAN?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) was not used in having your child for whom you are seeking a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  5. Can you use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  6. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).

Do you wish to apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?