Checklist for Reporting Birth in Japan to U.S. Citizen Parent(s)

Online Appointments Are Necessary.

The Embassy in Tokyo does NOT store laptops or large luggage. Please see the full list of Prohibited Items.

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at

• Tokyo  • Sapporo  • Osaka/Kobe  • Fukuoka  • Naha

Complete and bring the following items indicated on this checklist.


  • We cannot accept incomplete applications. Failure to bring all required documents will result in you having to reschedule your appointment for a later date.
  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents.
    (Click here for Japanese translation templates.)
  • Both parents and the child must be present the time of application.

CRBA Checklist

□ Consular Report of Birth Application (DS-2029)

  • Form DS-2029
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (Sample Application)
  • Handwrite any information that needs to be added or corrected after printing out the form.

□ Passport Application (DS-11)

□ Child’s Birth Certificate (original + 1 photocopy) and English translation

  • If neither parent is Japanese; please bring the original certified copy of the “Shusshou Todoke Kisai Jiko Shomeisho” certificate(出生届記載事項証明書)OR “Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho” (出生届受理証明書) issued by the Japanese city office that registered your child’s birth. If one of the parents is a Japanese; we can also accept the “Koseki Tohon” (戸籍謄本)instead of the “Shusshou Todoke Kisai Jiko Shomeisho” or “Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho”.
    Note: As long as the document is an original, the date of issuance is irrelevant.
  • English translation of the document. (the translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional)

□ Affidavit Requesting Name Change

  • If you wish to change your child’s name from what is listed on the child’s birth certificate, please prepare an affidavit/statement signed by both parents explaining your particular situation and why you wish to change the child’s name. Additional information may be requested by the consular official. Please note that some name change requests may not be acceptable due to government regulations.

□ Parents’ Marriage Certificate (original + 1 photocopy)

  • If married in the United States, you need to bring the original/”certified-copy” Marriage Certificate issued by city/county/state. (NOT a church or “bride/groom” copy. Please make sure your certificate has a file date.)
  • If you got married to a Japanese national in Japan, you can use your spouses’ “Koseki Tohon”(戸籍謄本) that shows your marriage.
  • English translation of your foreign language document. (the translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional)

□ Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages for both parents (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Original divorce decree(s) or Death Certificate(s) for all prior marriages. Divorce decrees must be issued by the court. Copies sent from a “lawyer” may not be the original/completed divorce decree issued by the court.
  • English translation for foreign documents. (the translation does not need to be notarized or done by a professional)

□ Evidence of Parent’s U.S. Citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of citizenship.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, he/she must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization.

□ Evidence of physical presence

  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, he/she must bring proof of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Primary evidence that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. include: Transcripts from high school and/or college, Wage Statements, and DD214 Separation Statement (for Military Members). Secondary evidence includes: Credit Card Bills, Utility bills, Tax forms, Airline ticket stubs, and former/current passport showing stamps.
  • Physical presence in the United States is one of the key requirements in order to transmit citizenship. For specific information, please see this page.

□ Proof of relationship

  • If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, photos, print out of e-mails)

□ Both Parents’ IDs (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of ID.
  • For foreign national spouses, please bring passports.

□ Application Fee

□ Photo

□ One Self-addressed LetterPack Plus/Light envelope

  • Click here for information on the LetterPack Plus/Light envelopes.
    LetterPack LIGHT: 360 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS : 510 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope

What if both parents cannot appear in person?
* If the parents were married at the time of the child’s birth, and one parent is unable to appear in person, please click here.
* If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, and the U.S. citizen parent is unable to appear in person, please click here.

Can a third party accompany a passport or CRBA applicant to their interview?

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.