Emergency Financial Assistance

Emergency Funds Transfer – OCS Trust (Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services)

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a trust account in the citizen’s name to forward funds overseas. Upon receipt of funds, OCS will transfer the money to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or one of our Consulates in Japan for disbursement to the recipient. The recipient must contact the Embassy or Consulate directly to arrange receipt. The fee for establishing a trust account is $30. The recipient’s name and overseas location (city, country) must be provided with the fund transfer, or the transfer will be delayed. The Embassy or Consulate normally disburses funds in the foreign country’s currency and not in U.S. dollars. Trust fund transfers are a one time service, except in specific, pre-approved circumstances. Funds sent during non-business hours may not be processed until the next business day. Questions can be directed to OCS at 1-888-407-4747. Please follow this link for more information and instructions on the OCS Trust .

What if no one can send me money?

In certain cases, the U.S. Embassy may be able to help a destitute American return home. However, applicants must meet strict criteria in order to qualify for a repatriation loan, and must surrender their U.S. passport until they repay the full amount of their loan. Assistance will not be provided to pay existing debts.