Notarial Services

NOTICE: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates strongly encourage our customers to make appointments at the location nearest them. Applicants should avoid traveling throughout Japan solely for the purpose of obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, passport, or notarial service appointment. If the Consulate nearest you does not have appointments available online and you have an urgent need for service, please contact us at the email addresses listed below.

Appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo:

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has resumed some routine services.  To schedule an appointment, please click here. If the appointments are fully booked, please check our website at the beginning of each month for the following month’s appointments. Please note that mail-in renewal is available for most adult passports (see more information).

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please make an appointment from this link. It is no longer possible to apply for a social security card at the same time as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Appointments in Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka/Kobe, Fukuoka, and Naha:

Online appointments are now available for Tokyo, SapporoOsaka/KobeFukuoka, and Naha. In order to avoid unnecessary travel, please make an appointment at the nearest location.

We can only provide notary services for U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents (i.e. Green card holders). Non-US citizens requiring notarization of documents for submission in the United States may also use the notary service.

For us to notarize your documents, you must …

  • Understand your document, including why and where you will sign.  Embassy staff are unable to explain to you the contents of your documents and may be unable to notarize the document if you do not understand its meaning or significance.
  • Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive, but do not sign the document.  You will be asked to take an oath and sign the document in front of a consular officer.
  • Include all pages, information and accompanying documents. Organize all pages in order and the page(s) that requires the notary seal must be clearly flagged on the edge of the document.
  • Pay the notary fee ($50 per each seal).
  • If your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to the notarization, you must supply these witnesses.  Embassy staff are unable to act as witnesses.
  • If you are signing as an attorney-in-fact, you must bring the original notarized power of attorney, or court document granting you as the attorney-in-fact.
  • Your documents must be in English.  We are unable to notarize any documents written in a foreign language.

Types of Notarials

Americans are often asked for a “sign certificate” or a “signature certificate” when buying a car, renting an apartment or opening a business in Japan. These certificates fill the role of the the personal seals (‘jitsuin’) that Japanese citizens use for formalizing documents, and which are registered with the local city hall or ward office.

“Sign certificate” (PDF 63KB) forms are available online.

A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal actions on your behalf. A common example of this is empowering someone else to buy or sell property in the U.S. in your name while you are overseas. Since we cannot advise you on the specific language or content of a power of attorney, please consult a lawyer or other appropriate adviser before coming to see us to have your power of attorney notarized.

If you are a U.S. citizen and are planning to get married in Japan, you will need to fill out an “Affidavit of Competency to Marry,” using this form (PDF 158KB). The form has two pages, one to be completed in English and the other to be used to translate the English page into Japanese. The Japanese translation page does not need to be notarized. Please note that this form will be valid for three months.

If you and your spouse-to-be are both U.S. citizens, you must complete a “Joint Affidavit of Competency to Marry,” using this form (PDF 77KB). Please note this form has two pages, one to be completed in English and the other to be used to translate the English page into Japanese. The Japanese translation does not need to be notarized. Please note that this form will be valid for three months.

These forms are required by Japanese law and are not a requirement of the U.S. Government. No registration of your legal marriage abroad is required by the U.S. Government, and your foreign (i.e. Japanese) partner need not come to our offices.  Learn more about the requirements for getting married in Japan at our Marriage in Japan page.

An Affidavit is a sworn statement used for a variety of purposes. The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the accuracy of the information in the affidavit. Rather, the U.S. Embassy simply verifies the identity of the individual(s) signing the affidavit.

Use our affidavit form to make your statement in advance, but do not sign it since you will be placed under oath by a consular officer and asked to sign it in his/her presence. Please note that the U.S. Embassy is unable to provide advice about the content or usage of the affidavit, including with respect to documents to be submitted to a Japanese government office or agency. Please consult with the relevant Japanese authorities directly as to whether a notarized affidavit is acceptable in your situation.

The U.S. Embassy/Consulates does not provide translation services.

If you bring the original document and the English translation, we will notarize the translation as an affidavit. An affidavit is a sworn statement and may be used in different situations for many different purposes. The translator of the document must show up in person at the Embassy/Consulate with a valid I.D. and sign in front of a consular officer.

The “Japanese Law for the Registration of Foreign Corporations” states that the documents required to register a company or update a company’s registered information “shall be attested by the competent authority in the native country of the foreign company, or by the Consul of that native country of the company or any other official in Japan.”

We cannot advise you about the specific language needed in your affidavit, so please consult a lawyer or other adviser for that type of assistance before coming to have the document notarized.

Please fill out the form before you come to our office, but do not sign the document. You will sign in the presence of a consul officer.

Often, customers include a title, or “corporate identity,” when signing these types of documents. Examples of corporate identities would be “president,” “managing director,” or “representative.” If you wish to sign with a corporate identity, please be prepared to present adequate documentation to prove that identity to the consul. Business cards and letterhead will not be accepted as proof of corporate identity.

Alternatively, you may wish to alter the language of your document to include language such as “who acknowledged himself to be the (TITLE) of (CORPORATION NAME)” or be prepared to cross out references to corporate identities within the document to be notarized.

Occasionally, we get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them. For more information on this subject, please consult the State Department’s website.

We cannot authenticate U.S. documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, etc.

The U.S. Embassy or Consulates can certify true copies of U.S. passports. Please make sure to bring the original U.S. passport to your appointment. When making an appointment on the appointment site, select “Request notarial and other services not listed above.”

The U.S. Embassy or Consulates can certify true copies of foreign passports for obtaining an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) or PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) for use in dealing with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Please make sure to bring the original foreign passport to your appointment. If you wish to appoint a third party to obtain the certified true copy on your behalf, please have that individual bring in a photo ID along with your original foreign passports. In such cases, a letter of proxy is not necessary. Please see more information available at To obtain a certified copy of your Japanese passport, make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. When making an appointment on the appointment site, select “Request notarial and other services not listed above.”

The U.S. Embassy/Consulates do not issue Apostilles. This includes authentication for American academic credentials, and state issued documents such as birth/marriage certificates. If you wish to request an Apostille, please contact the Office of Authentication. To have Apostilles issued for Japanese Documents, please contact the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As opposed to the ubiquitous “sign certificate” needed in Japan to, for example, buy/sell a car or rent an apartment, medallion signature guarantees are often required by U.S. banks or mutual fund companies. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee.

A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). U.S. consular officers are not authorized to provide a signature guarantee/medallion guarantee service.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission may be contacted directly via the Internet, via phone at 1-800-SEC-0330 (investor assistance and complaints), via fax at 202-942-7040, or by mail at Mail Stop 11-2, 450 Fifth Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20549.

If you are outside the United States, there are two ways to redeem (cash in) your paper bonds. Please refer to the Treasury Direct website for detailed instructions. Please note the Embassy/Consulate is unable to cash savings bonds. Our role is simply to provide notarial services related to redeeming bonds.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship or “Passport Information” form may be requested from the Japanese government in order to obtain Japanese citizenship. Use our form to fill out your passport information in advance, but do not sign it since you will be placed under oath by a consular officer and asked to sign it in his/her presence.

In some cases, individuals residing in Japan may wish to seek the services of a Japanese notary. American Citizen Services (ACS) encourages clients who require Japanese notarials for documents, such as notarial deeds, authentication of private documents and articles of incorporation, affidavits and the attachment of officially-attested dates, to visit the website (look for the English button on the front of the home page) of the Japan National Notaries Association (JNNA) for more information about types of notarials, fees and locations of notary offices. Please note that neither ACS nor the Japan National Notaries Association has information on which notaries provide services in English.

Please also see our Frequently Asked Questions.