Applying for a U.S. Passport

NOTICE: During Japan’s State of Emergency, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates strongly encourage our customers to make appointments at the location nearest them. Applicants should avoid traveling throughout Japan solely for the purpose of obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, passport, or notarial service appointment. If the Consulate nearest you does not have appointments available online and you have an urgent need for service, please contact us at the email addresses listed below.

Appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo:

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has resumed some routine services.  To schedule an appointment, please click here. If the appointments are fully booked, please check our website at the beginning of each month for the following month’s appointments. If you require an emergency appointment, please email For applicants who used the electronic application for the Consular Report of Birth, please allow 5 working days between payment submission and interview appointment time. Please note that mail-in renewal is available for most adult passports (see more information).

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please make an appointment from this link. It is no longer possible to apply for a social security card at the same time as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Appointments in Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka/Kobe, Fukuoka, and Naha:

Online appointments are now available for Tokyo, SapporoOsaka/KobeFukuoka, and Naha. In order to avoid unnecessary travel, please make an appointment at the nearest location.

Can a third party accompany a passport or CRBA applicant to their interview?