- The regular processing time is about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Original documents will be returned to you after review of your application.
- For first passports for children born in Japan, you must report the child’s birth first. See: Reports of Birth Abroad
- For renewing your Emergency passport, please see here.
Children Under 16
All applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Proof of parent-child relationship (original + 1 photocopy)
– U.S. birth certificate
– Consular Report of Birth Abroad
– Foreign birth certificate
– Adoption decree
– Divorce/Custody decree
Note: all documents must be original – no photocopies.
- Present Parents’ valid IDs (original + 1 photocopy)
- One passport photo
White background /2″ × 2″ in size / no eye glasses / no uniforms
- Form DS-11
Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
*NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
- One “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” (self-addressed)
LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
LetterPack PLUS: 520 yen, traceable, signature required
For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). MPS is NOT trackable.
*NOTE: Effective October 1, 2019, the LetterPack envelope fee will be increased by 10 yen. For full details of this change, click HERE.
- Passport Fees
Parental Consent for Minors
Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.