Children Under 16 – First Time and Renewal

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and consulates in Japan have suspended all routine appointments for passports and notarial services. If you need an emergency passport for immediate international travel or for reasons relating to immigration, please contact the Embassy or consulate nearest you.

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at


  • The regular processing time is about 4 to 5 weeks.
  • Original documents will be returned to you after review of your application.
  • For first passports for children born in Japan, you must report the child’s birth first. See: Reports of Birth Abroad
  • For renewing your Emergency passport, please see here.

Children Under 16
All applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents.

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of parent-child relationship (original + 1 photocopy)
    – U.S. birth certificate
    – Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    – Foreign birth certificate (e.g. Family Register “Koseki Tohon” )
    – Adoption decree
    – Divorce/Custody decree
    Note: All documents must be original – no photocopies. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation.
  • Present Parents’ valid IDs (original + 1 photocopy)
  • One passport photo
    White background /2″ × 2″ in size / no eyeglasses / no uniforms
  • Form DS-11
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
    *NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
  • One “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” (self-addressed)
    LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS: 520 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS).
  • Passport Fees

Parental Consent for Minors

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.  Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.