- The regular processing time is about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Original documents will be returned to you after review of your application.
Adults (age 16 and older)
All applicants must apply in person.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)
- Valid ID (original + 1 photocopy)
- One passport photo
White background /2″×2″ in size / no eye glasses / no uniforms
- Form DS-11
Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
*NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
- Name change documents (if applicable) (original + 1 photocopy)
If your ID does not match your name that is on your proof of citizenship document, please bring proof of your name change. Documents must be original. (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)
- One “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” (self-addressed)
LetterPack LIGHT: 370 yen, traceable, signature not required
LetterPack PLUS : 520 yen, traceable, signature required
For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope that will be mailed via Military Postal Service (MPS). MPS is NOT trackable.
*NOTE: Effective October 1, 2019, the LetterPack envelope fee will be increased by 10 yen. For full details of this change, click HERE.
- Passport Fee