The photo must be:
- Sized 2″ x 2″ (or 5 cm x 5 cm)
- Color photo
- Taken within the last six months
- Full face, front view with a plain white background
- No eye glasses
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices
- No uniforms
Pictures may be taken at the Embassy/Consulate photo booth for 1,000 yen. (The Consulates in Nagoya and Sapporo do not have photo booths.)
(Your browser may not display the graphic above as the right size.)
For more information regarding passport photos, please visit the Department of State website.
Tips on taking newborn’s passport photos:
- Please make sure your child’s eyes are open in the photo.
- You can drape a white sheet over one (sitting) parent, who also holds the baby’s head and neck upright from under the sheet. Or, you can place the child on a white blanket on the floor and take the photo while standing over him/her.