Proof of parent-child relationship can be demonstrated by the following.
Note: all documents must be original – no photocopies.
- Minor’s U.S. Birth Certificate with both parents’ names
(Hospital birth certificates are not acceptable.)
- Minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names
- Minor’s Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents’ names*
(If the minor’s name shown on the Foreign Birth Certificate is different from the U.S. name, please bring either the U.S. Birth Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad)
- Adoption decree with adopting parents’ names *
- Court order establishing custody *
- Court order establishing guardianship *
* All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal).
To obtain vital records, please click here.