Replacing a Lost/Stolen Passport

Online Appointments Are Necessary.

The Embassy in Tokyo does NOT store laptops or large luggage. Please see the full list of Prohibited Items.

To apply for a social security card, please DO NOT make an appointment here. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit at

• Tokyo  • Sapporo  • Osaka/Kobe  • Fukuoka  • Naha

  • If your passport is lost or stolen, you are advised to report the loss/theft to the local Japanese Police Station and obtain a police report.
  • Original documents will be returned to you after review of your application.

Adults (age 16 and older)
All applicants must apply in person.

Children under 16
All applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents.

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (if circumstances allow)
  • One passport photo 
    White background /2″×2″ in size / no eye glasses / no uniforms
  • Form DS-11
    Complete online and print out single-sided. (How to complete the online application form)
    Please note: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
  • Form DS-64
  • Proof of parent-child relationship (if circumstances allow)
    –U.S. birth certificate
    –Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    –Foreign birth certificate
    –Adoption decree
    –Divorce/Custody decree
    Note: all documents must be original – no photocopies.
  • Parents’ valid IDs (original + 1 photocopy)
  • One “Japan Post LetterPack envelope” (self-addressed) 
    LetterPack LIGHT: 360 yen, traceable, signature not required
    LetterPack PLUS : 510 yen, traceable, signature required
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope
  • Passport Fee

If either parent cannot be present, please see Parental Consent for Minors for more information.