Apply for Social Security Number – With Original Documents

Q. Is your child over 12 years old?
 → This does not apply to your child. Please contact us at

Q. Is your child’s passport NOT a 5-year passport?
 → Your child needs a full validity (5 year) passport to apply for a Social Security number.

Q. Do you have access to a U.S. Military Base Legal Office that will make CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES of your documents?
 → Click here.

Application with Original Documents

Please send in ORIGINAL documents (all).

  1. Application Form, SS-5-FS:
    • Download, complete, and sign Form SS-5F. (We only need Page 5)

    Tips for filling out Form SS-5F:

    • Item 9 – Mother’s BIRTH NAME
    • Item 15 – Japanese cellphone number, preferably
    • Item 17 – Make sure your signature is THE SAME as the signature on the ID you are submitting
  2. Child’s U.S. Passport
  3. Child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  4. Valid ID of the parent who signed the application form
    • U.S. passport (make sure you have signed it!)
    • Or a U.S. driver’s license / State ID / Military ID
    • Or a Japanese passport

    * The signature on the application form must be the same as the signature on your ID you are submitting.

  5. One self-addressed envelope:
    • For your original documents to be returned by certified and trackable mail …
      • Send us a “Letter Pack” prepaid envelope sold at Japanese post offices (no stamps necessary).
      • The Letter Pack can be folded to fit in your package
      • Peel off the RED “Sender To Retain” sticker (Your package will be trackable online here)
      • If you only have an MPS address, make sure the Japanese local address of your base and your Box number is on the “FROM” portion of the envelope.
      • We can only use the LetterPack to send to Japanese local addresses and military bases within Japan.
    • For your original documents to be returned through the Military Postal System …
      • Send us a self-addressed envelope
      • We cannot use “USPS FLAT RATE ENVELOPE”s to return your documents.

    Please send the above package to either address:
    (If you are using a LetterPack to send your documents, use our local Japanese address on the right.)

    Through the Military Postal System
    U.S. Embassy – Federal Benefits Unit
    PSC 471 Box 1111
    FPO, AP 96347

    Through the Japanese mail system
    U.S. Embassy – Federal Benefits Unit
    1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku
    Tokyo 107-8420

    ** Please note: We may ask for additional documents to process your child’s application.