An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States

Important Notices

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo and consulates in Japan have resumed some routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa services with limited appointment availability. Please click "Read More" for detailed information.

You May Be Interested
Global Issues

Secretary Blinken and Foreign Minister Motegi Meet in London

Secretary of State Antony Blinken attended the G7 Foreign and Development Ministers’ Meeting in London May 3-5. The United States wants to discuss how we can work with other countries to address the key geopolitical issues…


Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (April 28, 2021)

Effective May 1, 2021, any traveler, regardless of nationality and/or residency status in Japan, who has been physically present in these states in the 14 days preceding travel will be required to quarantine for three days…


Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (April 26, 2021)

Effective April 25, 2021, the Government of Japan reimposed a state of emergency for Tokyo, Osaka, Hyogo, and Kyoto prefectures. The declaration is scheduled to terminate on May 11 but could be extended further as previous…

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship or nationality.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel under the Visa Waiver Program.  The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.  If you cannot find what you are looking for here, please visit Travel.State.gov for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States, but when planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

Do You Already Know What Type of Visa You Need?

For nonimmigrant visas, you can go directly to the online application for the DS-160; or for immigrant visas, directly to the USCIS site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure, please use the Visa Wizard below to help you determine your visa type.