During this period, we will continue to process a limited number of visa applications on an emergency basis. The list below represents the types of visas that are eligible to request an emergency appointment. Once a request is submitted, a visa officer will review the request to determine if it meets the requirements and inform you of the decision.
We may accept emergency visa applications which require an interview for the following purposes of travel/visa categories:
Note: You are not eligible to submit an emergency appointment request or visit the Embassy or Consulate if you have traveled outside of Japan within the last 14 days or meet any of the following criteria:
1. Are sick and/or displaying flu-like symptoms such as coughing, fever, shortness of breath, etc.
2. Have been exposed to individuals known to have tested positive for COVID-19
Please note: Individuals coming to the Embassy or consulate for consular services are required to wear protective face coverings. Applicants who arrive without their own face covering will not be permitted to enter. Face coverings will not be provided.
Detailed guidance regarding qualifications and procedures on how to submit an emergency appointment request can be found at https://www.ustraveldocs.com/jp/jp-niv-expeditedappointment.asp
- Medical emergencies
- Cases where dependent children may Age-Out if visa issuance is delayed
- Medical professionals (in some limited circumstances)
- Special immigrant visas (e.g. SQ/SI SIV cases)
- Immediate relatives of active duty military service members stationed in Japan who are PCS’ing out of Japan within two months
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Detailed explanation of your situation
- Applicant’s intended travel date
- Supporting documents such as company letter or military PCS order indicating the date of transfer.