Exchange Visitors Visas (J Visas)

Although you will need your DS-2019 for your interview, it is important to schedule your appointment well in advance. Please select a date in which you expect to have your DS-2019.

Contact your program sponsor directly. If your program sponsor does not have the forms, they should contact the Office of Education in Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, exchange visitor visa holders may enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the commencement date on the DS-2019. This 30-day limit does not apply to those returning to continue an ongoing program; they may enter the U.S. at any time.

You will probably need a student visa for the language school you are planning to attend.

J visa holders may remain in the U.S. for up to 30 days after the ending date listed on the DS-2019.

If you are making a short trip outside of the U.S., your visa has not expired, and you are still participating in the same program listed on your J visa, there is no need to obtain another visa.

If your visa has expired or you are changing programs, you will need to apply for a new visa

You may remain in the U.S. as long as you are on full-time exchange visitor status. On your next trip outside the U.S., you will need to obtain a valid exchange visitor visa to re-enter the U.S.

Exchange visitors are not permitted to work outside of their program.

Family members are not permitted to work on derivative J-2 visas unless permission has been obtained in advance from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Study at academic institutions is possible.