Police Certificates

Yes.  A Police Certificate is a statement which advises the consular officer whether any criminal convictions are held in your name.

The information is on the Department of State website, Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder. Find the country and look under “Police Record”. All applicants must obtain a police certificate from their country of nationality, and the country of present residence if the applicant has resided there for six months or more. Applicants must also obtain police certificates from all countries where he/she resided for 12 months or more since his/her sixteenth birthday. For K visa applicants, police certificates are required from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16. Police certificates are also required for accomplanying children age 16 or older.

Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued.

If you have resided in Japan for six months or more since the age of 16 you are required to obtain a Japanese police certificate.

Applicants residing in Tokyo should apply at the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters (“keishi cho”).  Applicants living outside of Tokyo should apply at the Prefectural Police Headquarters (“ken keisatsu honbu”).

For more information on Japanese police certificates, see the police certificate page.

Applicants residing outside of Japan may apply for a Japanese police certificate through the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.

Approximately one to three weeks. When you apply for a certificate, please ask how long it will take to be processed.

For the purpose of applying for the immigrant visa, twelve months from the date of issuance.

Japanese Police Certificates must be submitted sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. You will be required to have the certificate reissued or resealed by the issuing authority.

If you have a conviction, you will be required to obtain the court record relating to all of the charges against you.

Court records must be obtained from the District Prosecutor’s Office (“chiku kensatsu cho”) where the court proceeding was held. The applicant must also submit copies of all pertinent sections of the laws under which the applicant was charged, along with certified English translations.

If you have a conviction in the Unites States, you will be required to obtain court records relating to all of the charges against you.

U.S. police reports and court records can be obtained from police office where you were arrested or from the court where you were convicted.

By U.S. immigration laws and regulations, the Embassy must perform routine FBI record checks on all visa applicants.