An official website of the United States government

Active Duty Military Information

Military Family Members Traveling to United States on Expired Permanent Resident Card (Green Cards) I-551

A noncitizen spouse or minor child, previously admitted to the United States as an immigrant, may be admitted to the United States even if he/she is in possession of an expired Green Card, if he/she is the spouse or minor child of a U.S. military service member or of a direct hire U.S. Government Civilian employee who has been overseas on U.S. Government orders.

Please read the State Department Memo (PDF 96KB) for details. Be sure to print out a copy of this letter and carry it with you when entering the United States.

Conditional Resident Status for Military Family Members: (CR-1/2 or CR-6/7)

If you have a conditional resident card, a petition Form I-751 must be filed to remove conditions on residence within 90 days prior to the expiration date. In order for the USCIS office to recognize military or government orders, you must indicate on top of Form I-751, “ACTIVE MILITARY” or “GOVERNMENT ORDERS” and submit a copy of the spouse’s current military or government orders. For more information, please contact USCIS, US Citizenship and Immigration Serivces via military help line.

Naturalization of Family Members of U. S. Citizens Deployed Abroad:

If you are a U.S. citizen member of the U.S. Armed Forces and are or will be deployed abroad by the Armed Forces for at least one year, your family members may be eligible for expedited naturalization after completing the immigrant visa process. For information, refer to the USCIS brochure Naturalization Information for Military Personnel or check with your base legal office.

Base Legal Offices:

Members of the military may be able to seek assistance of the base legal affairs office on an immigrant petition and an immigrant visa application.