An official website of the United States government

Case Transfer Request

From Tokyo/Naha to another U.S. Embassy/Consulate

If you wish to have your immigrant/fiancée visa file transferred from Tokyo/Naha to another U.S. Embassy/Consulate, please contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy/Consulate directly in the country where you wish to apply and follow their instructions for case transfer. Please click here for the full list of all U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas.

We will need to receive a formal file transfer request from that U.S. Embassy/Consulate in the country where you wish to apply. Upon receipt of this request, we will immediately forward the file for their processing.

From other U.S. Embassy/Consulate to Tokyo/Naha

If you currently live in Japan and wish to have your immigrant/fiancée visa file transferred from other Embassy/Consulate to Tokyo/Naha, you will need to complete the Transfer Request Form.

Upon receipt of the completed the Transfer Request Form, we will ask the U.S. Embassy/Consulate of your case to transfer it to Tokyo/Naha.

NOTES: For the case transfer between Tokyo and Consulate Naha, the same procedures as above apply. Please send the Transfer Request Form to the processing post by selecting the post on the form (e.g.,If you wish to have your case transferred from Tokyo to Naha, please select Naha on the Transfer Request Form.).

If you wish to transfer your case from Tokyo/Naha to a USCIS office in the United State, please request a nearest USCIS office.  Only after we receive an official request from them, we can transfer the case.


Regarding K3/4 visas, applicants must apply for their non-immigrant K3/4 visa at the Embassy/Consulate of the country where the marriage to the U.S. citizen took place. Therefore, if the marriage took place in Japan, you must apply for a K3/K4 visa in Japan and your file cannot be transferred anywhere else. If the marriage took place in the United States, the applicants should apply in their country of nationality. However, USCIS takes less time to adjudicate the Form I-130, the current need for K-3 and K-4 visas is rare.