Fiancé(e) Visa Checklist

Go to FAQ

English translations of all foreign language documents are required. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English. Please have the translator’s signature on the bottom of the documents. It is not necessary to have the translation notarized.

Do not send anything to the Embassy/Consulate-General unless you are requested to do so. Bring your documents to the interview. Before making an appointment, make sure you have all the necessary documents.

 Assemble all documents that pertain to your case.
PASSPORT:  A passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Each child 16 years or older who is included in his/her parents’ passport but whose photograph does not appear in the passport must obtain his/her own passport.
DS-160 CONFIRMATION PAGE:  Please refer to the Step 4  of the instruction.
PHOTOGRAPHS:  Two identical color 5cm x 5cm photo with a white background, taken within the last six months.  Applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in photos.
APPLICATION FEE:  You must pay the appropriate visa application fee. For payment instructions, please visit Bank and Payment Options/Pay My Visa Fee page.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES:  You will need one original or certified copy of the birth record or family register for each visa applicant. The certificate must contain the seal or signature of the official custodian of the record and also show that it is an extract of an official record. You must also submit birth certificates for all unmarried children under 21 even if they are not applying for a visa.
UNOBTAINABLE BIRTH CERTIFICATES:  If an official birth certificate is not obtainable, present the best possible secondary evidence, such as a timely registered baptismal certificate, hospital certificate, school records and/or a notarized affidavit from your parents. In general, secondary evidence is not accepted unless there is proof that an official birth record is unavailable from the issuing office.
EVIDENCE OF DISSOLUTION OF PRIOR MARRIAGE(S):  If you were married previously, obtain one certified copy of your divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) to prove the dissolution of each prior marriage.
EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT:  Evidence which will show that you and your children, if any, are not likely to become public charges in the United States. To find out more about what type of evidence may be presented to meet the public charge provisions of the law, see here. The Affidavit of Support (I-134) and supporting documents are valid for one year since the date of signature.

POLICE CERTIFICATE: Police certificate(s) from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 are required. (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)

A police certificate must also be obtained from the police authorities of any place where the applicant has been arrested for any reason, regardless of the length of residence. Police certificates are valid for one year. They must be valid when the visa is issued. Police records from certain countries are considered unobtainable. Please inform the embassy/consulate immediately if you cannot obtain a specific record.

For information on obtaining police records from other countries, please see this site. Police certificates are not required from the United States.

Note: Japanese Police Certificates are sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. Do not open the certificate prior to submission to the Embassy/Consulate.

COURT AND PRISON RECORDS:  Persons convicted of a crime must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record. The records are required, even if the applicant was acquitted or benefitted from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency, regardless of whether or not they may have benefited from an amnesty or pardon. This also applies to juvenile offenses.
MILITARY DISCHARGE RECORDS:  A certified copy of any military record must describe the nature of any military service the applicant has performed. Records from the Japan Self Defense Forces are available from the unit commander.

MEDICAL EXAMINATION:  The U.S. Public Health Service requires fiancée visa applicants to have a medical examination at a designated facility. We cannot accept medical examinations completed by a physician in the United States or by the applicant’s own physician. The medical examination forms are with the doctor of designated facilities. Follow this link for a list of the vaccination requirements.

EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP:  Proof of a valid fiance(e) relationship with your petitioner may be requested. It is, therefore, useful to bring with you letters, photographs, or other evidence of your engagement with you.