This page is for those who have already applied for a re-entry permit at USCIS and are currently waiting to receive it at the Embassy in Tokyo. If you designated to receive your re-entry permit and wish to check if it has been received by the Consulates in Sapporo, Osaka, Fukuoka, or Naha please use this online inquiry form
If you have not yet applied for a reentry permit, you may file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document at USCIS. You should file this application well in advance of your planned trip. Filing instructions and forms are available on the Web site at www.uscis.gov.
How can I check my status?
- Check your “Application/Petition/Request Number”. If you applied for a reentry permit and completed biometrics at a designated Application Support Center (ASC), you will receive the I-797C Notice of Action with a biometrics processing stamp. You will find the number at the top-right of the notice. You can check status of I-131 application on the USCIS website.
- Find your “Application/Petition/Request Number” in the list below. If you find your number on the list, that means the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo has received your re-entry permit. Please schedule an appointment and come to the Embassy to pick up your Re-entry Permit.
Bring the following items:
- Appointment letter
- Your I-797C, Notice of Action (photocopies acceptable)
- Your passport
- Green Card, if applicable
Note: If your family will be coming to pick up the Re-entry Permit on your behalf, they will need to bring a letter of permission from you and their valid photo ID, in addition to the above items.
- How to schedule an appointment
Appointment is required. Appointments are usually at 9:00 a.m. on Monday or Wednesday except on Japanese and U.S. holidays. You may request an appointment to email@example.com. Make sure to indicate the date you will be able to come to the U.S. Embassy Tokyo. We will send you an appointment notice. Due to our limited appointment capacity, we may not be able to accommodate your request for appointment date or time. Please check the email notice you will receive with the designated date and time. The appointment date and time may not be the ones you requested.
If you do not find your number in the list, please check this webpage again later. We will update the list as soon as we receive Reentry Permits from the USCIS.
Last updated on May 26, 2023
(Listed in order of number)
(See the top-right of your I-797C.)