An official website of the United States government

Police Certificate

This page is for Immigrant Visa and Fiancé (K) Visa applicants.
For non-immigrant (except K) visa applicants, please refer to this page only when you have been required by a consular officer to obtain a police certificate.


Go to FAQ

Applicants over 16 years of age must present a certificate from the appropriate police authorities to receive an immigrant visa. This certificate should provide any information contained in police files concerning the applicant.

For both immigrant and fiancé(e) visa applicants, police certificates must be obtained from the country of nationality, the country of present residence if the applicant has resided there for six months or more and all countries where the applicant resided for one year or more since age 16. Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older.

Generally, applications for police certificates should be made directly to police authorities in the district where you, the applicant, resided. For some countries, the applicant must be physically present to submit a records request. In such cases, you may not be required to submit a police certificate for that country unless you are able to submit such a request in person.

Country-specific information with respect to police certificates is available on the State Department’s Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder website.

Note:  Police certificates from the Unites States are not necessary for visa application purposes.

How to obtain a police certificate for Japan

Applicants living in Tokyo should apply at the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters (“keishi cho”). For information, refer to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters website.

Applicants living outside of Tokyo should apply at the Prefectural Police Headquarters (“ken keisatsu honbu”).

To request a Japanese police certificate at Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters or at a Prefectural Police Headquarters, you will be required to present a letter requiring you to obtain a police certificate. Please bring the following in addition to the documents required by Tokyo Metropolitan Police Headquarters website.

  • “Immigrant Visa Instructions” sent to you by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General
  • Instructions sent to you by National Visa Center (NVC), or
  • “Fiancé(e) K1/2 Visa Instructions” sent to you by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General.

Note:  Japanese Police Certificates are sealed. If the seal is broken, the certificate is no longer valid. Do not open the certificate prior to submission to the Embassy or Consulate. Please bring the sealed envelope of Japanese Police Certificate to the Embassy or Consulate on the day of your interview. 


Information on fingerprints is available on Fingerprinting page.