Nonimmigrant Visas

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Japan is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.

Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

Click here to view a step-by-step guide with screenshots and videos for
applying for a non-immigrant visa.

All non-immigrant visa applicants applying for visas at a U.S. Embassy
or Consulate are required to complete the DS-160 online application
form. Please click here for the detailed instructions and tips on how to fill out the form.

This checklist lists all necessary documents for each visa category.
Please prepare for all necessary documents listed on the checklist for
your visa application. Click here for details.

Click here to view information on what to expect on the Day of your
Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) Interview.

Please click here for detailed instructions on how to apply for
Diplomats/Government Officials (A Visas), International Organizations (G
visas), and J visas in a Government sponsored program (with program
number starting with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 on Form DS2019).

Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are available for
citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of
commerce and navigation who work for companies that trade or invest in
the United States. Please click here to find information on how to apply.

Applicants for nonimmigrant visas are able to check the status of their
visa cases on line. All DS160 forms created within the past year are
available in the online CEAC Status Check. Please click here for details.

Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which
takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular
Officer. Applicants are advised of this requirement when they apply.
Please click here to check the status.

To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page or use the contact information below:

U.S. Embassy Tokyo Consular Section
Visa Branch
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato ku, Tokyo, 107-8420

  • Telephone: The call center features an automated message system. Please select the option that best suits your inquiry. You may choose to be connected to an operator at the end of the recorded message.
    • Callers in Japan: 050-5533-2737
    • Callers in the U.S: 703-520-2233
  • Email:
  • Skype ID: ustraveldocs-japan

For complete contact information click here.

Embassy of the United States of America
1-10-5 Akasaka
Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
TEL: 03-3224-5000

No parking on the Embassy ground is available. Please use public transportation. Nearest Subway Stations:

  • Ginza Line & Namboku Line = Tameike-Sanno Station (Exit 14; about 5 minutes walk)
  • Marunouchi Line , Chiyoda Line = Kokkai Gijido-mae Station (Exit 3, 7; about 10 minutes walk)
  • Hibiya Line = Kamiyacho Station (Exit 3, 4; about 10 minutes walk)

The Embassy does not store prohibited items for visa applicants. There is no facility at the Embassy to store such items, so you must make arrangements to store these items elsewhere before you enter. If you arrive with a prohibited item, you will be turned away and asked to make a new appointment.

You are allowed to bring the following items to the U.S. Embassy:

  • One cellphone
  • One small purse or bag that can be carried by hand (no larger than 10” x 10”)
  • Clear plastic folders containing visa application-related papers
  • Umbrella (which must be stored in the umbrella rack outside the security gate)
  • Baby products (milk, diapers, hot water etc.)
  • Baby strollers (must leave at a specific location outside the waiting room)

You are NOT allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy while carrying any of the following items:

  • Battery-operated or electronic devices such as laptops, iPads, thumb drives, digital diaries, smart watches, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, or portable music players
  • Any luggage or bags larger than the size noted above (10”x10”) such as backpacks, briefcases, travel bags, suitcases
  • Food items
  • Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters
  • Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
  • Weapons or explosive materials of any kind

This list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. Embassy guards will not be held responsible for prohibited items that are lost or returned damaged. In order to keep you from a long wait outside, and to speed up your time at the Embassy, we are restricting the items that our customers can bring to the Embassy. We believe the overall increase in the speed and efficiency of our screening, and the shorter time you will be at the Embassy for visa interview, will be worth it.

Important Information for All Visa Applicants

Due to a variety of factors, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.