- Complete the DS-160 Online Application Form: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
- Retrieving/Recovering your DS-160 application form
- Go to FAQ
All non-immigrant visa applicants applying for visas at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate are required to complete the DS-160 online application form. Each applicant, regardless of age, must have his or her own DS-160 application form. When traveling with family, please make sure to complete a separate DS-160 application form for each family member.
Before you start, please make sure your computer meets the following requirements. Please note that you may experience errors if your browser does not meet the specification listed below:
- 128-bit encryption support
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) must be enabled.
- This website is best supported by Internet Explorer 11 or higher and Google Chrome 58 or higher. Safari is not supported.
Documents you need to have with you while you complete the DS-160:
- Digital image of your photo (a color photo with a white background taken within the last 6 months; please make sure to remove eyeglasses). For further details on photo requirements, please visit this online page.
See the examples below of acceptable and unacceptable photos:
- Other required documents for your visa category: Before you fill out the DS-160 online form, you need to know what type of visa you are applying for as you will be required to enter additional information, according to the visa category. For details on the required documents for each visa category, please visit this online page.
- Answer Questions on DS-160 Application Form in English: Please note all answers to questions on the DS-160 form must be completed in English. If you want to read the questions in Japanese, please select “Japanese” in the “Select Tooltip Language”box at the top right corner of the page. When you point your cursor to the English text, the Japanese translation will appear.
- Provide Accurate and Complete Information: You will be asked to correct your application and your application may not be accepted if you answer certain questions incorrectly.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following questions:
- Name: If you have middle name, please put it after your first name.
- Other names: list all other names used (i.e., Maiden name, previous married name, stage name, Japanese name for non-Japanese citizen, Business name, etc.).
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Purpose of Travel – Visa Category.
- Previous U.S. travel
Previous U.S. travel, including to Guam/Saipan and TRANSIT THROUGH THE U.S., must be included.)
- Please complete a new DS-160 form every time you apply for a visa. You cannot use the DS-160 form from your previous visa application.
- When applying with your family, please make sure to complete a separate online application form for each family member.
- Please make sure to print out the DS160 confirmation page containing a barcode.
The following video shows you step by step procedures for filing out the DS160 form with useful tips.